Heating is of top priority in the winter. Those who are fortunate enough to have a fireplace will, no doubt, enjoy a good blaze. Before lighting the fire, be sure that your chimney is in good shape and has been checked recently and make sure the flue is open. Its also important to remove all flammable items from around the fireplace. Avoid throwing wrappers or anything that will rapidly ignite as this could be very dangerous.
It’s a good time to go around every carbon and smoke detector in the home (and garage) and check they are all working properly and not in need of new batteries.
We all know candles, or any open flames are a fire hazard, never leave them in a room unattended or position them too close to items that could catch fire easily. String lights are another area of concern. Ensure they are checked over for broken bulbs and fraying wires.
It goes without saying that children should be kept away from fireplaces and space heaters etc. but there are other things children and pets should be not be allowed near, one of those things is poinsettias. While a beautiful addition to a home in the winter, they are actually a poisonous plant, so you may want to keep this in mind before purchasing one.
We want you to enjoy your home during these winter months, having in mind simple safety reminders will ensure you do.